Prep the Store
- Get everything out of the warehouse and on the floor, even if you're making creative piles in the middle of an aisle or off to the side of another display.
- Load up on your giftwrap/bags/tape, etc. You don't have time to go to the backroom and get more supplies.
- Straighten the shelves and pull everything forward to the front edge of the display. It makes the shelves look more full and inviting.
Prep the Staff
- Schedule breaks for them so that they are fresh when they are on the store.
- Get food so they don't have to leave to eat.
- Healthy food so that they don't have a bunch of sugar highs/lows.
- Show the best first.
- Limit the options.
- Complete the sale by showing any and all accessories and add-ons that could possibly needed.
- Ask this very important question... "Who else is on your list?"
(nod to Bob Phibbs)
This is why we are in retail. This is our moment to shine. Be in this moment. Enjoy this moment. Have some fun in this moment. That is what retail is all about.
PS Other cool things you can do for your staff... Give them gifts - lottery tickets, gift cards to restaurants, gas cards, etc. Give them massages - hire a masseuse for the day to chair massages in the backroom. Feed them - order in pizza, or cater a healthy lunch/dinner. Put on Christmas Movies in the backroom to keep them in the mood.